Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Road Trip!

Whew! We have had a busy couple of days! I last posted about my onery little puppy Tootsie. Well she has had the e-collar (sattelite dish lol) on for almost a week now and her staples are healing nicely. She gets to go have them taken out tomorrow.

I was going to post about our trip before we left but since Tootsie kept me so busy the day I was supposed to be getting ready...I ran out of time. The VA had requested that Kevin go to their large VA hospital in Albuquerque, NM to undergo some testing for TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) related to his time in Iraq. So we decided he would go up there this summer when I could go with him. A few weeks ago we received an invitation to Kevin's cousin's wedding on the saturday before his appointment so we decided we would drive up to Kevin's parent's house in Haskell stay Friday night in Haskell, go with Morris and Judy to the wedding, stay the night in Haskell, and then drive on to Albuquerque on Sunday afternoon. Cody and Sarah's wedding was so beautiful! We enjoyed spending time with Morris and Judy. Sunday was Father's day and Monday was Morris's 55th birthday! Judy made an amazing dessert called dump cake and I got the recipe! I'm kinda excited to see if I can take the recipe and make it more weight watchers friendly!

8 1/2 hours in the car on Sunday! It wasn't too bad though because my dear sweet husband drove and I napped, played my Nintendo DS (I know...I know! It is for kids but I love it!), and read my magazines that I haven't had any time for during the school year. Driving in to Albuquerque on the interstate you have to go down some EXTREMELY large mountains which make me very nervous! I just focused on my solitaire game and Kevin told me when I could look up so that helped a lot. I'm really afraid of heights.

Big towns are nice to visit but I never want to live there. Before we even got into the hotel we had a guy begging for money at the hotel entrance and then the next morning I was woke up by a guy pretending to be guest services about delivering flowers and wanting to know if we had heard anyone having sex too loudly! We called the front desk and apparently they are having problems with people calling trying to get personal information out of guests.

Kevin's appointment went well. Thankfully there is no indication of TBI though the doctor did tell him he has above average short term memory loss. He said that this is common in Marines who come home and suffer from PTSD. A little disappointing but nothing to fret over. I told him that now we know why he keeps losing his sunglasses! The appointment was over quickly (by 10 am) so we decided to go down to Old Town Albuquerque and look around. We ate lunch at an adorable little restaurant in Old Town called the Church St. Cafe. It was built in the early 1700's making it one of the oldest buildings in Albuquerque. After eating we walked down to the New Mexico Museum of Natural History. We had a ton of fun walking around looking at all the exhibits! Well I'm a big dork and love this stuff and Kevin went along for the ride. I actually think he enjoyed himself though. On Monday we drove home (8 1/2 hours to Bronte) and stopped at my parent's house. Thankfully they babysat our puppies while we were gone. We decided to spend the night at their house since it was already almost midnight after we chatted all evening long.

The diet didn't go so great on our trip. It is difficult to be picky when you are guests in someone else's house. I don't think that we did terrible though. If I didn't gain and just maintained my weight this week I will be okay with that. We ate lots of wonderful meals and had a lot of fun. I managed to walk around old town without getting winded which is something I never would have been able to do 2 months ago. I've also been on the Provera (hormone) pills this week so that alone could possibly cause some weight gain. It has made my face break out and I've craved sweets like crazy constantly! Last week I lost 2.6 pounds! It is amazing what can happen when I have the time to workout and make better food choices! Weigh in for this week is tomorrow night before our Weight Watchers meeting so I'll let you know how that goes.

We had some really good talks with Morris and Judy and my parent's during our trip. It made me feel really really good because my dad said that what is most important to them is that I make the change to get healthy in my life. I was so worried that he would be disappointed in me if I decided to just substitute teach next year. I think he would still like me to but he let me know that he loves me and will be happy with whatever I decide to do. I have workshops tomorrow and friday. I'm going to try and finish up my Senior picture CDs and then go to Eden on Monday. I'm going to mail the CDs and talk to Mr. Siler. I'm not going to say that I'm not going back for sure because I may chicken out but I'm definately going to talk to him. I've got to make this decision for my health. I will never be happy until I'm healthy.

Now I'm going to go watch a few of our DVR'd shows with Kevin and enjoy my evening! Until I'm back to ramble again...
Love,
Katy

0 comments: