Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Glitter Graphics

Well today is a very special day for Kevin and I! We celebrate America's Indepence day like everyone else but we also have several other reasons to celebrate! Six years ago today Kevin asked me to be his wife at a gazebo here in San Angelo and I said YES! It was the best decision of both of our lives! It was the day he made me the happiest woman on earth! It is also very special because 5 years ago today I had just picked Kevin up in Hawaii when he was returning from the war in Iraq. I arrived in Hawaii on July 2nd and met my friend Sarah Elenes. Sarah's husband is Juan Elenes. One of Kevin's best friends from the Marine Corps. We stayed the night and the next day picked our husband's up on the dock in Pearl Harbor. We waited for HOURS for the ship to dock! We were both sunburned by the time they got there but it was well worth it! On the 4th we drove around the island looking at beaches and visiting parks. Our last stop was at Hanauma Bay where we played on the beach and in the water a little. That night there was a big 4th celebration on base at Pearl Harbor that we got to go to. There was a carnival and a huge fireworks show over the harbor. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! The next day we visited the Arizona Memorial before flying back to Texas. It was a short trip but nothing could have made it better!

This 4th of July really pales in comparison. Kevin had to work most of the day and all of our friends have other plans so we're just sitting at home with the puppies. Not the most exciting day but I'm still happy. I have a wonderful husband, awesome friends, and a loving family that are all healthy and happy. I'm proud of my husband and the sacrifices he and his friends made for our country. So while we might not be having a huge party...we will count our blessings and thank God for Robert Zurheide, Aaron Austin, Brad Shuder, Jose Gutierrez and the many others who paid the ultimate price for our country. I am a very lucky woman because my husband did return safely when many other's husbands did not. So tonight while we sat on the back porch watching people in our neighborhood shoot fireworks I thanked God for my husband and asked God to remind me of the really important things in life so I won't worry so much. I will stop rambling for tonight and leave you with one of my favorite quotes...

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
-President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!
Love,
Katy

0 comments: