Monday, July 7, 2008

Life is too short...

Kevin and I just got back from a funeral this morning. Our friend Billy Arthur passed away on Monday June 30th. He had been battling Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma since sometime last year. It was very suprising for us. In April we had heard that he was doing much better and would be released from the Navy and moving back home. He was only 28 years old. He had a beautiful wife named Sarah and three little girls ages 10, 4, and 2. He was always one of the healthiest people I knew! He was always in shape and took care of himself! It is scary how someone in good health can go down so fast. What if it was someone like me who is in such bad health? He had a beautiful funeral with military honors. There was a 21 gun salute and a bugle player. I held up okay until it was time to exit the church. I brokedown passing the casket. He was so young. It makes me realize that my decision to get healthy is that much more important. Life is so short...I've got to be healthy and enjoy it. I've got to be the best wife, daughter, sister, and friend that I can be.

Kevin and I have been discussing my plans for next year for months now. I know that several of you have had to listen to me obsess about it for a while. We had finally decided last Tuesday that I would resign from Eden and apply to substitute teach full time next year. I had a workshop on Wednesday so I decided I would tell Mr. Siler afterward. He knew I had been thinking about it since I talked to him a while back. Mr. Siler was absolutely wonderful. He was very understanding and said if I needed any references to have them call him. When I spoke to him he said that they hated to lose me but that he understood. He also said that he appreciated the time I was there and that I had been a wonderful teacher. It was so nice but kind of made it that much harder to leave. That morning before I left we got the news that Billy had died. It didn't make my decision for me but it definately reinforced it. I was blessed enough to have my husband return from war in one piece. I think that God's wants me to be the best wife I can be and focus on my relationship with God and my husband.

One of the saddest parts of the funeral for me came after we were driving away from the cemetary. I'm not good at showing emotion in front of other people. About a minute away from the cemetary Kevin finally turned on the radio to fill the silence in the car. A song was just starting on the radio. It was called "If You're Reading This" by Tim McGraw. I had never heard the song before but just the first few words caught my heart and I was at complete attention.
Sometimes I think God places events or people in our lives to let us know that he realizes how bad things are but that everything will be okay. Billy didn't die in a war zone but served faithfully in the navy for 9 years and he fought a battle against a cancer that weakened his body.

I'm going to miss my students and coworkers terribly but this is something I have to do. I will substitute in San Angelo and hope that I can learn enough about big schools that I will feel completely confident if a position in town ever opens up.

Here is a link to a video of the song I talked about earlier.

"If You're Reading This" By Tim McGraw

It's beautiful...I hope you enjoy it...
Love,
Katy

0 comments: