Monday, April 13, 2009

Busy and Glorious Day!

Yesterday was a very busy but very glorious day! My mom is a WONDERFUL cook and for as long as I can remember she has been able to whip out amazing meals large enough to feed an army and doesn't even break a sweat. I've watched and helped her for many holidays but this Easter I decided to attempt the feast myself...I know I know...a disaster waiting to happen. My mom has been a little stressed lately as she helps with my dad's healing, deals with insurance companies, and juggles his appointments so I wanted to try and cook Easter dinner myself and let her relax. Last week I decided on a menu, then created a grocery list, and headed out to the store. It took my hours but I bought everything I thought I would need and then yesterday morning after Kevin and I went to the early service at Glen Meadows Baptist I attempted to start cooking. This is what was on our menu plan.

-With big guys like my Dad and brother around while your trying to cook it is necessary to have something around to keep them out of the kitchen.

Appetizers:
Shrimp Ring with Cocktail Sauce
Kelly's Signature Spinach Dip with Bagel Chips (I have been looking for a warm cheese based spinach dip FOREVER! This was the best I've had!)

Main Meal:
Spiral Sliced Ham with Brown Sugar Glaze
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Macaroni & Cheese
Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad
Pink Fluff
Brown & Serve Rolls

Dessert:
White Bunny Cake (This is just a white cake with white icing covered with coconut and jelly beans that is cut to look like a bunny face with ears and a bow tie. lol My mom used to make it when we were little.)

I started cooking as soon as we got home from church. I thought the ham was going to be the most difficult but it actually turned out to be the easiest part! My mom and dad got to our house a little early and thankfully she helped me peel potatoes and finish up because I was getting a little overwhelmed with so many things cooking at once but... I did it! It was all ready at the same time so nothing got cold and nothing burned! Yay! It actually turned out really good. It was really hard work and I admire my mom for doing it for so many years without complaining or even seeming stressed. I was so thankful to be able to spend the day with my family and to have a home where we can all fit comfortably.

0 comments: