Monday, April 13, 2009

More Recipes!

I also wanted to include a few recipes from our previous meal plans that I didn't get posted.

Ritz Chicken Casserole
(This is a family favorite that my mom has made for years. There are many pictures of me eating this in my high chair! I was so suprised when I found almost the exact recipe on Kelly's Korner Recipe blog. The only difference is she adds poppyseeds and we always added frozen peas and carrots. She also had one of my favorite recipes, Chicken Georgia, posted. This girl and I have very similar tastes!)

Shepard's Pie
This is from the blog of the happy housewife! I've been looking for a good recipe for this and we loved it! I ended up using 2 cans of cream of potato soup. I also need to season the meat with more salt and pepper next time but it was great!

Ingredients
2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
Garlic powder
1 can cream of potato soup
1 small bag frozen corn
Mashed potatoes (enough to cover a 9 x 13 pan)
Grated Cheese (cheddar or colby jack your choice)
Brown turkey on stove top, add onions during the last 3 minutes of cooking, I also season with some garlic powder. Mix turkey and onions with the cream soup. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick, then spread the turkey mixture in the bottom of the pan. Then layer the corn on top of the turkey, finally spread the mashed potatoes on top of the corn. Bake covered for about 25 minutes @ 350 degrees. During the last 5 minutes of cooking uncover the casserole and sprinkle with grated cheese.


Mexican Cornbread
This is just a recreation of my Gran Gran's recipe. I was 15 when she passed and there are so many things I wish I would said to her or done with her. I really regret not learning recipes for so many of the things she cooked! I basically took what I remembered and created my own recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown 1 lb lean ground beef.
Add 1 packet of taco seasoning to the ground beef following the directions on packet. Make sure you allow the taco seasoning to thicken for a few minutes. (I prefer Taco Bell Taco Seasoning. I really dislike McCormick Taco seasoning but I don't know why! I like other McCormick items!)
Mix in about 8 oz of salsa to the ground beef. I always get the mild chunky version because I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy things.
Drain 1 can of corn and 1 can of black beans then add to beef mixture.
Press beef mixture into a 9 x 13 pan.
Cover mixture by sprinkling generously with shredded cheddar cheese. (I've honestly never measured this but for me...the more cheese the better.)
Prepare 1 packet of corn bread mix according to the directions on packet. (These packets are so cheap at the store that I couldn't make it from scratch any cheaper. My family likes their cornbread a little sweet so I add about 1/4 cup sugar to the mix.)
Pour corn bread batter over meat/cheese mixture so that is is completely covered.
Sprinkle batter with more shredded cheddar cheese! lol
Bake in 350 degree over for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of your cornbread clean. I always serve this with a dollop of sour cream on top! Yum!

0 comments: