Monday, June 1, 2009

4 Cheese Macaroni

I'm retyping a recipe I found on the internet because I had to make some substitutions due to what was in my pantry but it was WONDERFUL!!! I'm really picky about Mac & Cheese and loved this! You can find the original recipe here. I am a very picky eater. I hate squash and mustard! This has both in it and you can't even taste it!!! What a way to eat veggies!

4 Cheese Macaroni (10 servings/ 5 points each)

1 pound elbow macaroni
2 Medium Yellow Summer Squash
2 Cups skim milk
1 1/3 Cups reduced fat Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
2/3 Cup reduced fat Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
1/2 Cup Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
The original recipe calls for a baked breadcrumb crust but I left that out. Extra points I don't need.

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until desired firmness achieved. Drain macaroni( but retain about 3 inches of the water in the pan) and transfer to a large bowl. Return water in pan to a boil. Meanwhile wash and chop squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Place squash in boiling water until soft. Drain water and place squash pieces into a food processor or blender. I pureed the squash in my Magic Bullet for just a few seconds after they were soft. It worked perfectly.

Add 2 cups of milk and pureed squash to drained pot. Cook mixture on medium heat until almost simmering. Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar, Colby Jack, Ricotta, Salt, Dijon Mustard, and Cayenne Pepper. Stir until all ingredients combine and cheese melt. Serve. We loved it this way!

1 comments:

Lori said...

I really like your site!
I bookmarked that mac and cheese b/c I'm on a quest for one that works for us!!!
Thanks for sharing!