Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chocolate Ricotta Muffins



Chocolate Muffins with Real Milk Chocolate Chips and they are only 3 points a piece!!!

Wow! My 100th post and I can't think of a better recipe to celebrate the occasion! These muffins are WONDERFUL! I'm going to link to the original recipe and then post the simple substitutions I made.

I found this recipe on a sweet blog I read about a stay at home mom named Sarah and her life trying to be the best christian she can be. I've had the recipe for a very long time before I finally decided to make it.

I love chocolate and one of my biggest struggle on WW is wanting something sweet everyonce in a while. I love making the brownie muffins recipe that consists of only a devil's food cake mix and 1 can of pure pumpkin. Those muffins are also 3 points a piece but not near as chocolatey and moist as these!

Chocolate Ricotta Muffins
1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons light butter, melted and cooled
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar free cocoa powder
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Melt butter and place on counter to cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with non stick spray and set aside.

I started with my dry ingredients to allow time for my butter to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the ricotta cheese and then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, vanilla extract, and cooled melted butter, mixing well.

Pour ricotta mixture into flour mixture. Stir until just combined and fold in chocolate chips. Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough when baked.

Using a spoon, fill muffin cups until about 1/4 inch from the top. I only have 1 pan so I had to bake two sets. It filled 23 cups for me. The first set I used paper liners which did not work well. The next day the liner stuck to the muffin very badly. These are better without paper liners.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. A toothpick came out clean when done (as long as it didn't get stuck into one of the chocolate chips!) Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy! A little scoop of vanilla ice cream on one of these muffins would make a VERY decadent desert!!!

2 comments:

Becky said...

MMMMMMMMMM!!! They look so good and you know I am a chocoholic! Are you serious??? 3 points!!! That is craziness! I will definately make these-I crave sugar all the time (stupid PCOS!) LOL! But these look good without feeling guilty about it...so glad to have found your blog :) Have a great day!

My Army Brats and Me said...

I was so meant to find your blog today. Yummy