Saturday, July 4, 2009

An anniversary of sorts...


Seven years ago today I woke up as sick as I could ever be. I had a terrible stomach virus the entire night before and was still not feeling great the next morning. But my adorable boyfriend named Kevin was in town for a short time and I wasn't about to let a stomach bug get in my way of visiting with him. So up I got and dolled myself up ready to spend the day with my sweetie. We drove around town looking at sights, walking around, and taking pictures like we always did. One of our favorite past times was to "cruise" around town. At one point Kevin drove by a little white gazebo surrounded by a beautiful flower garden so he stopped the car. We got out and had fun posing for pictures by the river and all the flowers. (We were a little picture crazy back then!) At one point I took a break by sitting down in the gazebo and asked Kevin to join me.

He looked so handsome! He was all dressed up in his uniform since it was the 4th of July. We were going to go our hometown later to watch the local fireworks show but first we were just having fun taking pictures. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to call such a handsome man my boyfriend. At that time I just desperately wished he didn't have to go back to California and the Marine Corps in a few days. As Kevin walked into the Gazebo he asked me to come look at something. I stood up and started walking to his side when he turned and met me in the middle. He had picked a beautiful daisy (my favorite) for me. As I reached to grab the flower I felt Kevin slip something on my hand. I look down only to see Kevin lower to one knee and that a beautiful white gold diamond ring on the ring finger of my left hand. Then he said the words I'll never forget, "Katy will you marry me?" and before I could answer he followed with "Your dad said it was ok!" I stuttered out a yes as well as I could and then everything starts to get blurry because it went so fast. I remember laughing and crying and Kevin asking a passing runner to take a picture of us. I immediately called my mother and best friend who of course already knew of his plans. We spent the rest of the day telling the great news to everyone watching the fireworks show. It was a day I'll never forget and always cherish.

I love you even more today than I did back then Kevin Johnson! Thank you for asking me to be your wife and making me the happiest woman in the world! Thank you!

*The above picture is almost immediately after Kevin proposed. Please excuse the quality of the above picture. I cannot get to the scanner right now so I just snapped it quickly with the camera on my phone. My hair is wind blown, my face is red because I've been crying, and a passing runner snapped the picture for us but you know...I still love the pic.

0 comments: