Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Some good news...Some bad news...and a book made for dummies?

Ok so yesterday we went to our initial appointment with a Reproductive Endocrinologist and I love her! She was so nice and really took the time to talk with us about everything.

The good news is that she is sure she will be able to make me ovulate and eventually have a baby. She is the very first doctor who has ever taken me seriously when I talk about the issues I have. Most doctors say "oh you have PCOS", throw some birth control pills at you and then they are done. They tell you to take the pills because that is the only thing they can do for PCOS and then blow you off. She was so nice and was able to explain causes and theory behind the majority of my problems for me.

The bad news is that we learned that apparentally I'm not the only one with reproductive issues in mine and Kevin's relationship. The VA did a test on Kevin's semen about 2 years ago. Kevin takes a lot of medication for his PTSD and we wanted to know if it had any effects. They gave us the paperwork for the tests but never explained what it meant. We brought the paperwork to our appointment and the doctor explained that Kevin does have a low count issue. We had to fill out a medical history and she explained that it is probably due to a hernia that was repaired on Kevin when he was a baby and due to his medications. She actually spoke to Kevin about his issues before she even addressed mine. I was quite suprised. I didn't know how to react because as disheartening as the news was I actually felt a little relieved to know that I wasn't the only one broken. Crazy, huh? Kevin has lost 60 lbs since that test and she wants him to come in for another test in a few weeks. The only insurance Kevin has is through the VA so we will have to pay for the entire thing by ourselves. I also found out that my insurance has no coverage for infertility so once again we will be paying on our own even though I pay almost $400 a month for insurance. She seemed really confident though that she could treat Kevin with Clomid (yes the same drug they give women) and that it would help him.

I explained to the doctor that I have never ever wanted to be the pregnant woman who is so fat you can't tell she is pregnant or to have all the complications that come along with pregnancy in obese women. That is why I started really trying to lose weight 14 months ago. I've battled my weight my entire life until I just started ignoring it during college. All that mattered was doing well in school and taking care of Kevin. I explained that I have been on Weight Watchers and that I had gotten to a plateau and then never recovered. I have gained about 10 pounds back from the original 40 that I lost. She explained that the effort I have made is great and that WW is great in helping you track what you eat but that my body is going to respond differently than most people. She said for me to truly lose weight I need to utilize the low glycemic index diet or glycemic load diet. She suggested I buy a book called "The GL Diet for Dummies" because it gives the best explaination of the diet. She said I need to use this diet because I'm insulin resistant.

I've known since high school that I was insulin resistant and that this caused my body to produce more insulin than the average person. This doctor actually took the time to really explain what it meant to me personally. Basically I have a metabolic condition that causes my body to store fat at a higher rate than normal people and my body reacts to certain foods differently than it does in normal people. When I eat certain foods my body produces high levels of insulin which in turn causes my blood sugar to be very volatile during the day...at some points shooting sky high or dropping really low. At times this makes my stomach hurts, makes me feel shaky, or sometimes I almost cannot keep my eyes open because I'm so tired and lethargic. The latter actually happened during a class I was teaching this summer and I was actually concerned I was going to have to get some help. Luckily we had a short break so I ate half a snickers bar and it made a huge difference.

My doctor wants me to lose about 20 pounds before we start any ovulation inducing which is fine by me. She said that I don't have to start then if I'm not comfortable with my weight yet. I have an appointment scheduled to go back in 2 months so I'm trying to figure out this diet and work really hard.

After we left our appointment yesterday we went straight to a book store to buy the book. I actually found a couple of Low GI cookbooks that I bought also. I started reading the book on the way home but I am so frustrated! It is so hard to understand and figure out. Some foods are bad and do not need to be eaten on a low GI diet such as white bread and pasta. BUT sometimes if you add a protein and fat rich food (such as parmesan cheese) to the bad foods then it will lower the overall GI and become good for you! This is because the fat and protein rich food delays the rate of the stomach emptying and slows down the rate of digestion of the food. When food digests more slowly it helps stabilize my blood sugar during the day. I also supposed to eat every 3-4 hours during the day. It is so confusing! The doctor explained it would be hard but how can you diet when you don't even know what you can and can't eat! I assumed it would be like a high fat, low carb diet but it isn't at all. I've spent all day reading this book and I'm still not getting it. I've been trying to look up the glycemic values of specific foods on the internet and am not having any luck. I'm also having issues because this diet does not really mesh with the WW mentality that is locked into my brain. I tried one of the recommended breakfasts this morning and couldn't help but think "This is so many points!".

She also made me take a blood test yesterday to check for prolactin levels. I believe that is the word she used. She wants to make sure that I do not have an adrenal disease that has many of the same symptons of PCOS and is often misdiagnosed and can leave some symptoms untreated. My mother is thrilled that the doctor suggested this because she had seen an episode of Mystery Diagnosis in which a women with an adrenal issue was misdiagnosed and she has been nagging me constantly saying that I have it. I was really suprised because I hadn't even considered it and then all of the sudden the doctor was talking to me about it.

My final instructions were to start taking my metformin 3 times a day instead of 2 and to start taking fish oil pills everyday along with my Yaz and prenatal vitamins.

I know this post has been ridiculously long but for the first time in my life it seems like there is hope that I might actually be a mother someday. I could really use your prayers so that I can figure out this diet and see some results. I'm not unreasonable...if this diet really works and I start losing I will wait until I'm at an even safer weight before starting the fertility treatments. It would be better for me and for the baby. But if it is a waste of time I will starve myself until I lose the 20 pounds and then begin the treatments. I want to be a mother someday and if God wants me in this body to do it...then I will. But I would rather be healthy.

4 comments:

* Tyly * said...

I'm so happy to hear you finally got some answers from a doctor that cares!!!

I wish you the best of luck with your new diet! I know you can figure it all out!

I look forward to reading all about your journey to motherhood.

Amy Holifield said...

Hang in there, Katy. I'm so glad that y'all are finally being led down the right road. You might holler at your doctor and ask her to suggest a nutritionist that specializes in this particular diet. Maybe they can at least answer some of your questions about it. Good luck with everything!

Little Mrs Domestic said...

Thanks for the comment on the blog. I originally just borrowed the South Beach diet book from a friend but have found that I refer back to it so often that I wanted my own copy. I went to half.com and got a really cheap copy from one of their authorized sellers where you don't have to bid you just buy it right then. I got it for $6 total hardback, shipping and the book. We are still going strong and adapting. If you have any questions let me know I MIGHT be able to help. But it is all still fairly new to me. :) I'm glad you are getting somewhere. You can do it!

twitterthisadams said...

i'll be praying for you...love you..:)