Sunday, July 19, 2009

Exams, Shredded Wheat, and the military

Well I know my posts have been pretty grim lately but I'm slowly trying to work my way into a better mood and I have some news tonight that has definately helped!

Drumroll please.......................

I passed my Journalism Texes exam! I am now certified to teach in 4 certification areas...Business 6-12, Technology EC-12, Journalism 8-12, and ECH-4 Generalist. Now...If I could just get a full time job!!! I'm debating if I should email the high school principal I spoke with in may and tell him that I passed the test. I want to do it but I'm afraid it would be like beating a dead horse. They posted a BCIS position for one day and immediately pulled it down. He knew about me and that I was interested but they chose not to fill the position anyway. I mean what do you guys think? Should I?

In other news...I had the opportunity the eat lunch with one of my favorite people on Friday. Rebecca was my mentor teacher at Eden during my first year of teaching and I'm very glad to say became one of my very best friends. We've been emailing back and forth periodically this last school year but since I'm a terrible penpal I've missed her and the other teachers I taught with terribly. She came into town on Friday for a workshop and we were able to meet for lunch and get caught up! Her workshop actually turned out to end at lunch so she was able to come by the house after we ate so we talked for about 4 hours! I was so happy to hear everyone is doing well. I regret leaving Eden more than anyone can imagine. I wake up from dreams about teaching out there and just cry sometimes because I miss them so much. For the first time in my life I truly had a job I enjoyed and co-workers that I adored. (Don't misunderstand...I've enjoyed previous co-workers...just not the jobs...and at the last job before teaching I hated the job and especially the co-workers.) Becca had lots of great news for me and it was really a highlight of my summer. I still remember all of the reasons I needed to leave and how it was the smartest decision but when I remember the good times and in the face of not being able to find a full time job here in town once again...it seems like the stupidest decision I ever made.

Speaking on jobs...(which its seems is all I ever talk about anymore)...I applied for a job posting today that I found on the internet. A non-teaching job. I know...I'm getting desperate. It is actually kind of scary because I am HIGHLY and I mean HIGHLY qualified for this job and it sounds like it could be fun but I really do not want to NOT teach. It is actually located on the air force base about 2 miles from my house. I would basically be a trainer of sorts developing lessons plans and creating web based training courses for the military. It is actually exactly what my masters is for. The master degree that I'm pursuing is a masters degree in Instructional Technology with an Emphasis in Distance education. You can go look at a more in depth description of the degree here. I really would miss teaching and my students. I had always figured that someday I might move out of the classroom and maybe into an outside education/training industry like this but that was not going to be until years from now. I don't know...I may not even get called for an interview. I like working with the kids, having fun everyday, getting off early, having my summers off. I tear up anytime I think about not seeing the little ones everyday. Not hearing, "Mrs. Johnson! You look beautiful today!" every morning would make me sad. lol I just want to get something full time sooooooooo badly. Kevin is getting more and more worn out from both working and going to school full time. I want to help him so badly. Am I making a bad decision applying for it?

I guess I should give a diet update...IT IS TERRIBLE! I still cannot figure it out. I've bought multiple books and every book tells me different things. One book said I could have shredded wheat...another book said I couldn't. Very contradictory things. I tried to go grocery shopping and it was a complete disaster. I couldn't even find most of the things that it said I could have. I've been doing research and the closest diet to the low glycemic index diet is the South Beach diet. I think that tomorrow I will go to Hastings...once again...and buy the South Beach book. I know a little about it from my research and I know that the first 2 weeks will be horrible but I think that overall it will be easier to follow. We will be leaving for our vacation on next Thursday so I'm going to have to think long and hard to decide if I will be starting it now or waiting until we get back.

Speaking of vacation...lol...5 days until I see Aerosmith in concert! I'm so excited! It doesn't seem real! I have so much to get finished and to prepare for our trip so it will be a busy week! I'm going to try to finish working on the computers at Trinity and get all the laundry/dry cleaning done and I have an appointment to get my hair cut and get my puppy dogs groomed. We will actually be gone for 9 days and 8 nights because my Business Education conference immediately follows the Vegas trip so I'm scrambling to get enough close together for that long. I haven't wanted to buy clothes in forever because I wanted to be losing weight so I am extremely low on summer clothes that fit. I found a good sale on Friday morning and was able to get 2 pairs of denim capris ($14.99 each!) and 3 solid color t-shirts. I also bought one really pretty purple shirt that I love so I'm hoping I can add this to the one pair of capris and 1 pair of black gaucho pants that I have been alternating all summer long and maybe have enough to last all week. I'm going to miss my beautiful furry baby girls so much but I'm so grateful that I have wonderful dog sitters/house sitters coming to stay with them. I will be able to enjoy myself so much more knowing that they will be well taken care of!

I will mention briefly that I did get to go to watch Harry Potter on last wednesday and I loved it! As I always say...the books are better...but the movies are great! Well I guess I've rambled on enough and I will finally go to bed. Goodnight Guys...

1 comments:

Mrs. Lehman said...

We did South Beach and lost a LOT of weight fast. We started in April, and I've lost 25 lbs, my husband has lost 40, in 3 months.

The first two weeks were hard... I wanted to give up a couple of times, but losing weight was more important than cravings!

After that, it's pretty easy-peasy. Good luck!