Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2009 Summer Vacation Day 3 Part 1

Saturday really didn't start out that exciting but definately ended with a bang! When we woke up saturday morning Kevin immediately started working on HOMEWORK using the laptop and an internet connection in our room. BLAH! I know I know but it was due sunday night and there was a TON of it. He is in an online British Literature class right now and his professor is crazy! She has assigned so much work that it takes hours to get it completed. Kevin tried so hard to get it all finished the week before we left but with work there just wasn't enough time to finish it.

I went down to the food court and picked up some McDonald's for breakfast (Yum!) and then headed back up to help Kevin out. I never actually took a sophomore literature in college because I took a test and passed high enough that I was given credit for English 1301, 1302, and Sophomore literature but I did the best I could to help out. It was a lot of the same information that I worked on in AP English in high school (Syntax, Simile, Metaphors, Assonance, Symbolism, Alliteration, foot and meter, Sonnets, Quatraines...) I helped Kevin understand what each of the previous words meant and read the poems to Kevin because they were ridiculously boring and hard to pronounce. Here is an example of one he had to analyze...

To A Louse By Robert Burns
Ha! whare ye gaun' ye crowlin ferlie?
Your impudence protects you sairly;
I canna say but ye strunt rarely
Owre gauze and lace,
Tho faith! I fear ye dine but sparely
On sic a place.

Ye ugly, creepin, blastit wonner,
Detested, shunn'd by saunt an sinner,
How daur ye set your fit upon her--
Sae fine a lady!
Gae somewhere else and seek your dinner
On some poor body.

Swith! in some beggar's hauffet squattle;
There ye may creep, and sprawl, and sprattle;
Wi' ither kindred, jumping cattle;
In shoals and nations;
Whare horn nor bane ne'er daur unsettle
Your thick plantations.

Now haud you there! ye're out o' sight,
Below the fatt'rils, snug an tight,
Na, faith ye yet! ye'll no be right,
Till ye've got on it--
The vera tapmost, tow'rin height
O' Miss's bonnet.

My sooth! right bauld ye set your nose out,
As plump an grey as onie grozet:
O for some rank, mercurial rozet,
Or fell, red smeddum,
I'd gie you sic a hearty dose o't,
Wad dress your droddum!

I wad na been surpris'd to spy
You on an auld wife's flainen toy
Or aiblins some bit duddie boy,
On's wyliecoat;
But Miss's fine Lunardi! fye!
How daur ye do't?

O Jeany, dinna toss your head,
An set your beauties a' abread!
Ye little ken what cursed speed
The blastie's makin!
Thae winks an finger-ends, I dread,
Are notice takin!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An foolish notion:
What airs in dress an gait wad lea'es us,
An ev'n devotion!


Ugh! They were terrible! We worked on them almost ALL day long. Remember how I said our room was on the 11th floor? (Yep, I did take this pic.)



Well it was beautiful looking out onto the pool BUT at exactly 12 noon the loudest most obnoxious remixes of popular songs started playing from the pool area! I mean it sounded like we had the stereo in our room turned as loud as it could get! It definately didn't make reading ancient british poems any easier. We finished about 4 pm and I immediately got in the shower to get ready for the ZZ Top and AEROSMITH concert! It deserves a post of its own so I'm closing this one out! Hang on for part 2!

0 comments: