Saturday, October 10, 2009

Meal Kits

I have been having a hard time finding time for grocery shopping since school started. Between spending 10 hours at work a day and then doing grad school homework at night and all weekend we have been eating out WAY more than we need to. That is not good for our wallet or our waistline. There are some night when even though I have the energy to cook...I don't have anything to cook and our house is at least 15 minutes away from the nearest Walmart (we live on the edge of town opposite BOTH Walmarts and HEB).

One night after updating my facebook status about picking up take out when I was heading home at 9 pm, I got an email from my 2nd cousin. She wanted to let me know that she had been making and selling meal kits for the last 2 years and I should try it out. Basically she prepares a variety of main course meals and sells 10 meals for $90. Each meal serves 2-3. We have a similar company in town that is called "Preppers" and I've wanted to try it. It does basically the same thing but is much more expensive so Kevin and I decided to order from my cousin this week. We picked 10 items off the menu and we got them today. It is such a relief to know that dinner is taken care of next week. It ends up costing about $3 per serving. The meals can be frozen so we'll have the option to save some and pull them out when it is really busy. They have the directions for heating written on the top of each one so Kevin can even pull one out and start it heating when I'm not home yet. We have a wide variety of meals to choose from. I'll list what we bought below.

Gumbo with Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage
Grilled Chicken Roll-ups (Chicken stuffed with chicken & bacon then grilled)
White Chicken Chili
Parmesan Chicken with Spaghetti & Marinara
Ham & Potato Casserole
Swedish Meatballs with Egg Noodles
King Ranch Casserole
Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Spaghetti
Cheeseburger Roll-Up

I'm sad because I really do love to cook and can prepare several of the meals we purchased but I just haven't had as much time to menu plan and shop lately much less cook. I'm thankful for the opportunity to purchase these every once in a while to keep us stocked in a pinch but I'm really hoping that as I get better at work (ie quicker & better routine) that we can get back to menu planning and cooking because I really miss it.

0 comments: