Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Handsome Husband...

I'm very ashamed to say that I completely missed posting about the birthday of the most wonderful man in the world. My darling husband Kevin turned 29 yesterday! Happy Birthday Kevin! I love you more than you can ever know! I'm still sick and in my medicated state I haven't been quite on top of my game. I can't believe that this is the last year Kevin will be in his 20s! He is more handsome now than ever so I'm excited to see how much more better looking he gets as each year goes by.

One of the most memorable birthdays that Kevin has had in recent years wasn't exactly a pleasant memory but it was definitely one that neither of us will ever forget. On the evening of Kevin's birthday (March 19th, 2003) I was at home alone in our duplex in Bronte. Kevin and I had just married 4 months before and Kevin was 2 months into an overseas deployment with the Marines. I was chatting on the internet with my friend Sarah. Her husband Juan was on the same deployment as Kevin. The news was on the TV. I had it on constantly during that period of time. Trouble was brewing in the middle east and it wasn't looking like it was going to be settled peaceably any time soon. When I say I was a nervous wreck it is a HUGE understatement. Like saying that sound of a gunshot is the same as the click of a pen. It is crazy how we can remember some things so vividly while other instances fade into the background. That evening while I was holding my chihuahua Tootsie and chatting with Sarah the news flipped to a press conference that was being giving by then President George Bush.

I remember not being able to breathe as he began speaking, "My fellow citizens, at this hour American and coalition forces are in the early stages of military operations to disarm Iraq, to free its people and to defend the world from grave danger. On my orders, coalition forces have begun striking selected targets of military importance to undermine Saddam Hussein's ability to wage war. These are opening stages of what will be a broad and concerted campaign."

It was one of those moments that could have so easily been a bad dream but it wasn't. I knew what it meant and I knew at that moment that my life, Kevin's life, everyone's lives would never be the same. You see, Kevin's deployment hadn't gone like it was supposed to. Kevin was on a MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit). Typically the Marines board Navy ships which begin "a float" around different parts of the world. Kevin's previous deployment aboard the USS Cleveland took the Marines to many locations for short periods of time...Hawaii, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Guam, Saudia Arabia, and Jordan etc. On this deployment, the USS Rushmore had left San Diego, CA on January 6th, 2003 and stopped only briefly in Hawaii and Singapore for supplies before heading straight to the Persian Gulf. Kevin had been on dry land in Kuwait since before Valentine's Day. I knew at that moment that Kevin was headed into war.

Now one of the greatest things about my husband is that he is a man of many words. He LOVES to talk and he doesn't discriminate. He'll talk in person, on the phone, through email, and through snail mail. It was one of the reasons that Kevin and I became friends long before we ever began dating. Being that we spent a large portion of the beginning of our relationship separated by several states...communication is a very important thing. While Kevin was aboard the USS Rushmore we had been able to email almost everyday (depending upon the location of the ship) and speak on the phone every once in a while (phone calls were $1 per minute). Kevin began keeping a journal of his deployment and emailing it to me and others each day. When he left the ship and went into Kuwait he began handwriting his journal into a notebook he took with him. I loved receiving letters and updates from Kevin. Regular mail or snail mail as I refer to it most often usually took 2 weeks to arrive once mailed.

Because of his journaling, Kevin has quite an interesting account of his time in Iraq. I'm excited to say that he has decided to begin a blog where he will post his journal from the war online. His new blog is Send Me In, Just Watch My Six. I can't wait to start reading them again and want to encourage everyone to go take a look and show him some love with comments! I believe he is starting his posts from the very beginning of his deployment in January. He will be making his way through the start of the war and his trip home eventually. Please go check it out!

It is now time for me to take some more medicine sadly. I'm finally feeling a little better and actually got a decent nights sleep last night. (Just in time for Spring Break to be over! I'm glad I didn't have to take any sick days though.) Hopefully I will be back to blogging coherently soon. Take Care Everyone!

0 comments: