Thursday, May 27, 2010

16 Weeks-An Avocado

*I started this post earlier this week but did not manage to finish it yesterday.  Explanation to follow...

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

My Week
-Last week of school for the 09-10 school year!
-I thought the exhaustion was supposed to end in the first trimester but has just now started for me.  By 3 pm I am FIGHTING to keep my eyes open no matter what I doing.  Two days this week I have fallen asleep at 4:30-5 pm and then woke up around 9 pm.  I'm hoping it is just the build up and flurry of activity of the end of the school year and it won't be a permanent thing.
-I'm having trouble shaving my legs because I get dizzy when I bend over in the shower.  Any other time...I'm fine...weird.
-I've decided that I'm having round ligament pain.  I have had a weird stretching, pulling sensation in my low abdomen since the a few days before I was pregnant.  It kind of feels like the pain after waking up with a very full bladder constantly.
-My first pair of maternity jeans arrived yesterday and they are actually really cute!  I also ordered one black maternity shirt that is adorable and I will be wearing long after this baby is born.  The maternity jeans are still too big but my regular jeans have gotten a little uncomfortable.  The  mornings are ok but I'm usually miserable by the afternoon.
-  My once very squishy stomach has changed.  Don't get me wrong...it is still very squishy...but the underside has gotten rock hard and is sticking out approximately an inch farther than before.  It is uncomfortable to sit hunched over (which I do a lot at my laptop. I know! Bad!).  It is actually improving my posture!
-I have an appointment with a dietician next week.  I'm excited.  I've always wanted to ask what I should be eating that would have the most benefit to my body.
-Hiding a pregnancy in a high school is almost impossible.  More gossip and preying eyes than you can imagine.  It has become increasingly difficult to keep it from my students.  Several have suspected and been asking prying questions about my nausea, my saltine crackers, my freakishly long hair and nails, and so forth... "Wow Mrs. J, my nails only got that long when I was taking my prenatal vitamins!" "Mrs. J, are you ever going to have kids? I bet we make you not want to have any, huh?"  It has mostly come from my students that have babies or are currently pregnant.  I've managed to brush off comments other teachers have made around students and I myself have slipped up a couple of times. "Oh yeah I've heard of that new children's store...I'm going there as soon as I find...er...out what gender my friend is having."
Earlier this week a phone call was put through to my classroom during the school day which is REALLY weird.  They don't do that.  Students were sitting in my room.  But the lady that was calling was very pushy (probably why she got through) and was asking about plans for a student group I was supposed to sponsor this next year.  I had been trying to compose an email to notify her that I had been reassigned to other activities but I hadn't sent it because I hadn't had a chance to speak to my principal again.  Finally after about 8 minutes of her not giving up and students sitting there listening, I finally just told her that I was expecting a baby and since I would be out for maternity leave next year that someone else was going to sponsor that group.  I'm not going to say that made her quiet right away because it didn't but it definitely shortened the conversation finally.  Once I hung up the phone and had all those eyes staring at me I said, "Yes, I'm having a baby and I'm very excited."  The kids went nuts!  They were so excited which was very cute.  I actually had one girl (who I've had to write up multiple times) sit there dumbfounded for almost 5 minutes before finally speaking up and saying, "You're pregnant? Oh...I'm so sorry for how I've acted this semester."  lol  I just about died laughing.  The funniest part was that several boys agreed with her and started apologizing also.  If I'd known that...I'd have been "pregnant" all year long.
-Once the cat was out of the bag I broke the news to each of my classes.  Luckily it was the last day that I was going to have most of my students this year so it was pretty good timing.  With the semester exam exemptions that were put in place I actually have very few students testing.  Today I had 7 total.  Tomorrow I will have 8.  Friday I will have about 6.  Next time they see me I'll be 29 weeks along.  Crazy!

0 comments: