Tuesday, June 8, 2010

18 Weeks-A Bell Pepper

18 Weeks


Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

My Week
-has been exhausting...and I'm not really doing that much work.  We've been helping my parents move.  They won't actually let me help move anything but I've been packing boxes and unpacking boxes.  They are officially out of their old house and into their new house.  The new house is getting paint and carpet though so they are far from being all moved in.  Of course the temperature outside has been over 100 degrees the majority this week...ugh.
-18 week OB appointment was today!  Everything is going fantastic!  My blood pressure was great and the baby's heartbeat was loud and clear in the 150 bpm range.  I've been told to drink even more water since it has been so hot outside this week!  I did gain a few pounds this month but my doctor is thrilled with total gain so far.  I lost several pounds when I was so sick so I'm now about 1 pound above my pre-pregnancy weight.
-I still cannot get enough fresh fruit to satisfy me.  I could eat japanese steak house hibachi cooking everyday but my wallet wouldn't stand for that.  I adore grilled/sauteed zucchini.  I cannot get enough of the macaroni & cheese from Logan's roadhouse. It is the BEST!
-My stomach is really bothering me.  It is tight and sore constantly.  It feels like I've eaten 10 double cheeseburgers even though all I had was 1 burrito.  I'm guessing it is stretching pains but it just seems unbelievable.  If it is this bad at 18 weeks...what will it be like when I get farther along?  I've always been aware of my belly fat but I have never really felt it when I walk.  I actually feel it pulling now when I walk or lay on my side.  I'm guessing this is because the muscles are so sore.  I sometimes wish I had some kind of corset that would pull it up and hold it tight so it didn't hurt. lol
-My regular clothes have officially become to tight to wear all day.  They are tolerable for short periods of time but no more than an hour or so.  I currently own 1 pair of maternity jeans that still fall down when I walk.  Dressing each morning is becoming a huge pain.  I guess it is time to buy some more pants.  I'm going to start by looking for capris.
-Milestone of the Week!  Last night on Monday, June 8th, 2010 (at 17 weeks & 5 days) I felt my first definite movement from our little one!!!  I don't know if it was a kick...it was more like a whoosh in the very low bottom right corner of my stomach.  I was driving home from my mom's new house when I felt something weird as I turned a corner.  It startled me and I thought..."hmm...what's that?"  About 10 seconds later, I very distinctly feel the exact same thing again!  That is when I realized what it was!  I was so excited that I started talking to the baby saying things like "Good Job!  I'm listening! I'm listening!"  lol  I immediately called Kevin and then my mom.  I haven't felt anything since but my doctor said that at this point it may not happen everyday.
-I've been having some crazy dreams this week.  Thank goodness that so far it hasn't been anything that made me wake up mad or crying.  Let's hope that it stays that way.




2 comments:

AndreaLeigh said...

I adored zucchini when I was pregnant. DH grilled it one day and from then on I wanted it at every meal. Now, grilled squash made me vomit, but zucchini? Yum.

AndreaLeigh said...

did you get your my soul shines print?