Tuesday, June 15, 2010

19 Weeks-A Large Heirloom Tomato

19 Weeks
Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.

My Week
-On last Wednesday night the baby decided to do gymnastics or something in my stomach.  I was sitting on the couch watching a little TV before bed when the baby started rolling around and fairly quickly positioned itself directly above my right hip bone.  It was the weirdest and most awkward feeling but didn't really hurt.  You could actually run your hand across my low stomach (the baby is always REALLY low) and feel the hard knot on my right side.  It made it a little weird to walk and lay down but I tried.  I finally got out the fetal doppler and was able to find the baby's heartbeat right on top of the knot.  It's BPM was as speedy as ever hanging out around 150-156.  It is always around that rate.  It was pretty neat.
-I feel the baby rolling around more.  After that first acrobatics session on wednesday I can feel it more easily.  It is still sporadic.
-I've been busy working on our house this week.  We're having new carpet installed in the next few weeks so I'm getting organized.
-I have chosen a crib bedding set for each gender.  They are just adorable.  I cannot wait to find out what we're having!  The girl's bedding I chose is very surprising because it is not at ALL what I thought I would choose.  The first words out of Kevin's mouth when I showed him were, "Wow!  I assumed it would be purple!"  Put it this way...it is not purple.  There is a store in town that carries both beddings and I'm going to go look at them in person this week.
-We had a big surprise arrive this week.  It was the baby's bedroom furniture!  It actually arrived 6-8 weeks sooner than we expected.  I've been peeking at baby furniture for a very long time so I had a general idea of what I wanted.  I knew I wanted a convertible crib in a medium wood finish.  Not light pine but not dark cherry.  I also wanted the final larger bed to look more like a true headboard/footboard instead of crib rails.

I've looked at Target, Walmart, and even a furniture store in town but everything seemed low quality.  (Remember that my town has very small selections of baby items.)  A friend recommended I look at JCPenney online.  They got their crib from there and it was the best quality one they had been able to find.  I spotted a crib I loved almost immediately after we found out about the baby and have been checking in on it every few days for the last 2 months.  It went on sale over a month ago and I noticed it but since we're not even close to needing it yet I wasn't worried about it.  Two days later it went back off sale and was priced higher than it had been originally!  I was so mad!  Weeks went by and finally it went back on sale and this time it was at an even better price AND I had a coupon to take 15% off of my entire purchase.  The price has since gone back up again!  Kevin and I talked it over and decided to go ahead and make the purchase during the sale using the coupon.

Since school will be starting off at a rapid pace in August and will be nonstop until the baby is here we want to get as much preparing done as possible before school starts.  The website said it would take 6-8 weeks to arrive making us get it just in time before school starts.  Well it took a week!  And since we weren't expecting it...its new home is the garage for the time being.  My Tahoe has been kicked to the curb until the furniture can move inside (which probably won't be for multiple weeks.)  I was worried about getting things too early but my mom said it was time to start preparing since we find out the gender next week.  I'm still debating which room (larger guest room or smaller office) will become the nursery.  So many decisions!  Ah!  I hate making decisions!  These are kind of fun decisions though... :)

0 comments: